Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"I" is for Interview

Even though I haven't done too many, I rather enjoy doing interviews.  That's probably because the ones I've done have been either through email, a Word doc, or over instant message, where I have time to make my responses. And the ability to edit them.  

Let's face it...I'm not a big fan of public speaking.  I think someone, probably Jerry Seinfeld, said that more people are afraid of public speaking than dying; they'd rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy.  

I'm not exactly terrible at public speaking, and maybe it's all in my head, but I always feel like I'm the most socially awkward person out there, especially when talking about myself.  Like all of the words want out at the same exact time, and I end up spewing word vomit all over the poor, unlucky person asking the questions.  

Hopefully, by the time I get my big interview on Oprah (she has her own network now, so she'll have plenty of opportunities to squeeze me in), I'll be practiced and poised enough to give some intelligent, coherent answers. 

"And here she is...Sarahhhhh Alllllllaaaaannnn!"


So, I beseech you, kind readers of the A-Z Challenge on my humble blog...Please give me some pointers!  I know I'll have to give one on the telephone or over Skype eventually.  And then there's that Oprah one.  

xoxo Sarah 

p.s. I do have a couple of interviews out there.  One was done with the Maryland Romance Writers, but the other is here.  Check it out if you have a moment! http://elizabethsogard.wordpress.com/2011/09/05/come-meet-aspiring-author-sarah-allan/ 

12 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Sarah, which I picked up on Facebook (I'm doing the A-Z challenge, too).

    When I trained as a teacher, the most terrifying lesson I had to give was to my fellow trainees. After that, nothing frightened me, not even appearing on TV.

    I don't know if there's a secret, but short of having a full script, I'd need a list of keywords to prompt me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's a great tip...I think keywords would work out great for me.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that we still can hope for an Oprah interview! I have no tips, I'm awful at all that kind of thing.

    Nice to meet you, and I hope you're enjoying the Challenge!

    KarenG
    A to Z Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! I'm just glad you're enjoying the blog. I'm enjoying doing it again this year.

      Delete
  3. My only tips are to relax, have about five questions in-hand and then go with the flow. You'll probably discover something wonderful and amazing and the interview might take a different turn. See where it takes you - that's part of the fun. I enjoyed reading your blog. If you have time in-between interviews, check out my blog at www.dianeweidenbenner.com Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! Those are definitely some helpful tips... I guess I'll have to be more prepared than I thought. :-) I'll head on over to check out your blog shortly.

      Delete
  4. Stopping by from the A-Z Challenge. Unfortunately public speaking scares me, too. I'm sure when Oprah interviews you one day, you'll do great!

    Kelly
    SewAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it's one of those things that gets better the more you do it. So there will be plenty of awkward footage of me when I start doing them, lol!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I excel at public speaking, at other times for no apparent reason I will be shaking in my boots! Unfortunately I have no idea why.

    CarolynBrown-Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...that's different. Maybe it's the different audiences. I'm glad you're at ease sometimes, though!

      Delete
  6. Hey, Sarah!

    Aw, you're so snappy and sharp that I cannot fathom you being anything less than confident in front of folks.

    Public speaking is easy for me. One on one, though, is really difficult.

    For speaking in public, remember that you own the platform, mic, whatever. The space is yours and the people want to hear you. Be engaging, make eye contact, and never let them see you sweat. Don't try to smile too much – people like sincerity but not forced good humor.

    And if possible, come as prepped as you can. Note cards are good – even if all you have on them is words like BREATHE! and SMILE! and I'M NOT WEARING ANY UNDERWEAR!

    Because laughing at yourself is never a bad thing onstage. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You're too sweet to me. I don't know which would be worse...maybe the one-on-one in person. I'd feel like the pressure was on to entertain that one person instead of just trying my best in front of a lot of people.

      Ooh, note cards are good idea! That would probably work well for me. I'll be referring to this post when/if I ever have to do a public one. :-)

      Delete