Monday, April 9, 2012

"H" is for Haiku

I suck at poetry.  It never interested me, and for some reason I can't seem to write a serious one.  I think it would be similar if I wrote songs, too.  I'd never be able to do the whole heartfelt Taylor Swift thing...anything I wrote would likely end up sounding like something The Lonely Island would sing.

So, I thought I'd try my hand at writing a little haiku.

It's a three line, seventeen syllable poem; three phrases of five, seven, and five syllables respectively.

From what I've read, haiku poetry usually focuses on nature, so I'll do that because I'm having trouble being creative.

Here goes:

Winter

Northern cold winds blow
Freezing my hands and my feet
Gives me runny nose

*takes a bow*

xoxo Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Haiku is a great place to start when attempting poetry. That's what I always did when I was teaching poetry to my students.

    I love writing haiku. I write them at work about my day. It's a good way to kill some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and I kind of liked it. There's no way I'm writing a book of them, though. I'm glad you like writing them!

      Delete
  2. I never understood Haikus, but yours is adorable. :)
    Stopping by from the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had fun writing it.

      Delete
  3. I'm doing a poetry unit with my 8th graders, and they loved writing haikus. I've got haikus on bright orange post-its all over my room, and it's fun to watch the kids checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty cool! I love that idea...great for students to do, too, because they're not super-long. Great idea.

      Delete
  4. I read a number of A to Z blogs whose authors tried to haiku for the "H" day but, apparently, think haiku is Japanese for "short." :-) Kudos to you for writing a properly structured (and cute) one!

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I'd never written one before...Google helped me out a lot. ;-)

      Delete