Friday, March 4, 2016

#FoodieFriday: Salisbury Steak Meatballs with Onion Gravy #comfortfood

I can't believe I missed last Friday's post, but no matter.  This week's will make up for it.

I've made these yummy Salisbury Steak Meatballs by Jo Cooks twice now, and both times they were a big hit with both hubs and me. The meat is flavorful; the gravy is delicious, and it's a must-serve with mashed potatoes and a good veggie. In the picture, you can see that I made roasted asparagus to go with it. 

This ain't no TV dinner Salisbury steak!

There are a good amount of leftovers (4 day's worth if there are two of you, so approximately 8 servings total), and they're even better as time goes on.

Some tips I've picked up--with this recipe, make patties, not meatballs. I did meatballs the first time, and they were very soft and didn't keep their shape, making them impossible to turn to brown when in the pan. Epic fail. I got frustrated (might be a slight understatement--I think I threw a not-very-adultlike fit that my poor husband had to witness), ended up squishing them into something resembling taco filling, then scooped the meat out and finished the gravy as directed. It tasted fine and all, but it wasn't pretty, nor did I get the nice browned fond on the bottom of the skillet as I'd wanted. The second time I'd learned my lesson--I made flat patties about the size of my palm. I think I got nine patties out of the meat mixture. This worked much better! They were easy to flip with my spatula, and I got the nice dark brown crust that I needed to make the gravy extra good. That's one patty on top of my mashed 'taters in the picture.

For leftovers, though, the rest of the meat and gravy went into a container, and we've been scooping out our desired servings that way. Add some additional stock (I used chicken stock in both the main recipe and when I re-warmed it; it's what I usually have open in my fridge) to make the meat and gravy serve-able again, and heat in a saucepan. It ends up kind of like Shepherd's Pie filling (really Cottage Pie because of the beef, but whatever), but it tastes the same.

As I mentioned above, I used chicken stock for the gravy. It says either chicken or beef, and I almost always have an open container of chicken stock in the fridge already, so that's what I used.

Mashed potatoes (either regular or mashed sweets) are my side of choice, along with a roasted vegetable or salad.

Even better, this whole thing comes together in about 30-45 minutes from start to finish, and, because of the leftovers, actually can save you time the next day. So it's a comfort food meal worth making.

What do you think?

xoxo Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment