Friday, January 8, 2016

#FoodieFriday: Swiss Cheese Chicken #Casserole

Whew. I'm tired.

After moving, getting most of our household goods right before the holidays, then unpacking the bedroom and kitchen, then the holidays, then traveling for a ski trip, then getting the rest of our household goods, then more unpacking, I'm ready for a nap.

Or long-term hibernation.

But the cats would still try to wake me up from that, so here I am.

I'm writing this surrounded by boxes, which are reason enough for making the following recipe: Swiss Cheese Chicken Casserole.

Pic from Prepared Housewives
I'll apologize in advance--the Prepared Housewives site has a lot of annoying ads and stuff, but this recipe is sound. No, it's not the best thing for you, but there are worse things to put in your mouth when you want a quick-ish, comfort-foody meal.

Like I did this evening after an unplanned trip to Lowes to get new hoses for the washing machine so it didn't turn the laundry room floor into a flood plain.

Anyway...

This casserole comes together quickly--there are only a handful of ingredients. It also freezes nicely, so if you want to go that route, stop after the soup step and cover it in foil. Then, when you're ready to heat it, thaw it and put the stuffing and butter on. Then it's oven time!

You can pick your favorite cheese, too--I've heard that pepperjack is good.

I served it with peas, but that's just because it was the first vegetable I grabbed in my freezer. Pick whatever you want.

One last thing--I have no idea why it says to serve it over rice. There is plenty going on with the recipe and nice crunchy stuffing on top that the rice is unnecessary.

And this recipe has a special place in my heart. The first time I had it, my husband and I had just moved to England. Our sponsor family brought us a home-cooked meal for us to warm up--this chicken dish. Having something warm and delicious and not fast-food was so very much appreciated, even if figuring out the oven in our small temporary apartment was a nightmare.

It's warm, and tasty, and great for busy nights when you're debating just stopping at the nearest drive-thru and having done with it.

Let me know if you've tried this recipe!

xoxo Sarah

2 comments: