Friday, January 15, 2016

#FoodieFriday: Chicken and Wild Rice #Soup

Much to my poor husband's dismay, it's soup season.

I can eat soup all the time--he, unfortunately, cannot. But his complaining is kept to a minimum, and I usually end up freezing a good amount for later so he's not tortured all at once. Must spread the torture out over multiple days, you see--it's how a good marriage works.

But in all seriousness, I do love a good soup, and enjoy experimenting with ones I find to make them work for us.

One I tried last week was Bowl of Delicious's Chicken and Wild Rice Soup--a nice twist on chicken soup, which is one of my quick go-tos. I generally prefer mine with noodles, but rice is also good, and wild rice is fun and adds a different texture, so I was game.

First, I want to address that, yes, you can find just wild rice in the grocery store. Not just the Uncle Ben's mix with white rice, but regular wild rice--it will likely look like longer black grains. That's what you'll use in this recipe.

The recipe in its own is good and easy to make, but I've made enough chicken soups to know that I wanted to make a couple of changes to the recipe. Nothing major, but here's what I did:

-- 2 cloves minced garlic toward the end of the vegetable sauteing time
-- added a bay leaf (either 1 small, or half a large one)
-- a few dashes of dried thyme leaves, and a dash of dried sage (probably a half teaspoon and quarter teaspoon or less respectively, but I didn't measure)
-- fresh parsley, chopped fine, when the broth was added (probably 2T total, but I didn't measure--also, if you use dried parsley, only use a teaspoon or two...dried herbs pack more of a punch, so you need about a third less)

My soup needed about an hour for the rice to cook completely and not be too chewy. It should be a little chewy, though, but not difficult to bite or hard. 50 minutes-1 hour should do it.

Finished Chicken and Wild Rice soup.

I ended up freezing the soup in a few portions as well. For prolonged soup torture, you see.

I love you, husband.

Let me know if you've tried this recipe and what you think!

xoxo Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment