Thursday, June 2, 2011

Crappy timing and learning...

Whoops.  I guess the Friday before Memorial Day weekend was the worst time ever to make a new post.  Frankly, I understand.  I'd rather be on the beach or out with the family than stuck at the computer reading blogs, too.  Ironically, I was going to schedule it for this past Monday, but that would probably have been just as bad.  I'll blame that terrible decision on the reverse jet lag from my trip.  Go read it if you have a chance, then come back here.  Don't worry, I'll wait.

I just got back from visiting my husband in Albuquerque (he's out there for training...less than two months to go, hopefully!), and I figured that the long weekend would be perfect for a visit.  What a great city!  And the dry heat...yeah.  I could get used to that.

Anyway, I'm back in the armpit that is Arkansas (feels like 95 degrees out, with 60% humidity and climbing).  "Real life" has kept me busy lately, posing things to consider like, "To rent out our house or not rent out our house, that is the question," and, "When is a good time to have the movers come and essentially make me homeless?"

So, it was a welcome distraction to find this little gem on Twitter today.  The timing was apt, because, as I've mentioned, I'm going to the RWA 2011 conference in New York City at the end of the month, and I'd love to be able to (nicely) corner an agent without making them fear for their life.  I'm a visual learner, too, so watching this video helped me a lot.


Yeah, some of the skits are exaggerated, but that's the idea.  I can easily see myself spewing word vomit all over some poor, trapped agent or editor, so methinks I need to step up my game.

I will be ready, I will be ready...

Thoughts on elevator pitches?  Have you had to use one?  How did it go?  If not, do you have one ready, just in case?

xoxo Sarah

2 comments:

  1. You should have an elevator pitch, and yes, I've done it. At my first RWA I didn't know anything, and was sitting in the lobby on Librarian day. A woman sat down next to me, saw my first timer's ribbon and asked about my book. That's when I saw the word 'agent' on her nametag. I _was NOT prepared, and probably sounded like a blubbering idiot. I honestly don't know what I said, but she did ask for pages!

    Always be reawith a three sentence hook telling what your book is about-it's what everyone asks. If you get a pitch appointment, then you have ten minutes and can give your full blurb (150-200 words).

    After that first agent encounter, I needed a Valium. You never know who you'll be sitting by.

    Good luck, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God, your email got lost in my spam box! I'm sorry, Robin. *facepalm*

    I hope I get to have an encounter like that, and I'll probably react the same way. As much as I'd like to believe I'll be suave and awesome, I know I'll end up with some kind of garbled word salad which will, hopefully, not scare them off, no matter how prepared I am. I will give it my best shot, and I will definitely chat up anyone who's nearby.

    ReplyDelete